Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Finally finished the cards!

I have finished making my Christmas cards - hurray!
I was in the shop on Saturday and remembered I had a penguin stencil I bought back in Sept that I had not used yet so I thought I would bring him out.
The technique for this is a bit complicated so bear with me.
I began by cutting a piece of Dreamweaver double sided adhesive slightly smaller than the size of the penguin stencil. I peeled 1 side of the backing off the adhesive and applied it to a scrap of white cardstock. I peeled the 2nd backing off the adhesive so I then had a sticky rectangle. I used a bar of 100% coconut oil soap (smells sooo good!) and rubbed the back side of my stencil with the soap. You want lots of soap on the back side of the stencil. The soap acts like a release agent. I placed the stencil soap side down on the exposed adhesive. I pressed the stencil lightly down on the adhesive so all areas had contact. I then poured black Glitter Ritz glitter over the stencil trying to leave the feathers on his head "non black". I pressed the glitter down and then tapped off the excess. I added Yellow Glitter Ritz glitter to his top feathers and pressed down. I tapped off the excess yellow glitter. I used my handy dandy blush brush to brush off excess glitter then I carefully removed my penguin stencil from the adhesive (this is where you find out if you put enough soap on. I find slipping a craft knife between the stencil and cardstock helps release the stencil). I added White Glitter Ritz glitter to his belly. I tried to keep the white glitter within the outline of his body because I added Be Creative Sugar Beads to the background of the stencil. I was trying to show this with my close up photo but you can't really see this.
I matted the penguing on gold. I cut a circle of burgandy cardstock and ran it through my Cuttlebug with the Snowflake folder. The white cardstock was sprayed with Memory Mist Gold spray ink to jazz it up a bit when the gold was dry I stamped my Joy, joy stamp with Ranger Cranberry ink. I edged the white cardstock with my Ranger Espresso pen and attached everything as shown. I added 3 gold brads to my circle to finish the card off. These cards were fairly quick to mass produce despite all the steps! Thanks for looking!

Recipe:
Stencil: Dreamweaver (penguin)
Stamp: Penny Black (Joy, joy)
Glitter: Glitter Ritz black, white and yellow
Other: Be Creative sugar beads, gold brads, Dreamweaver double sided adhesive, Memories Mist Gold, Ranger Cranberry dye ink, Ranger Espresso pigment pen, Cuttlebug Snowflake folder

Just a quick note to let you know Crafty Capers received an order from Art Impressions today. We now have in stock lots of watercolor stamps and the VERY popular "tree with bench" stamp. Hurry in for best selection.



No comments: